Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bridges

"What is it with you and bridges?"

 I was cranky with a screaming tooth ache and it wasn’t getting any quieter. My whole head was wobbly with it and the whiskey I was nipping to keep the pain at bay.

“What’s the matter Mr. Farmer- don’t you like the scenery? Besides it’s easier to see who’s coming up on you. You can learn a lot from me Chuck.”  

"Yeah, right." This Kestrel guy was more irritating than ever.

We paced the bridge the wood slots making a creaking, satisfying noise as we crossed toward Manhattan.

"I saw your little post-script to your girlfriend."

"You are resourceful Kestrel."

“Did I ever tell you I was an engineer before the war? Good training for an intelligence man, figure out how the pieces work together. How you can eliminate unnecessary parts.” The Kestrel said with a grim smile.

"Listen you know as well as I, you need to get her out of there and the way I see it, they already know about her, they don't need me to tell them."

"Spit it out what do you want?'

"I need you to go to Mexico."

“I hear it’s just wonderful this time of year, I’ll send you a postcard. You are just hilarious Mr. Kestrel.” I took a drag from my cigarette and a pull from my whiskey.

"You don't get it; you could have compromised me Hombre, that’s Espanol by the way."

I glanced at him, threw my cigarette over the railing and stopped dead.  My head felt like it would cleave off leaving me half a head; I thought Shit I could be happy that way- if the pain stopped.

"What are you saying pal?"

"I’ll bring her to the U.S. but you cannot have any contact.”

""What makes you think I’m going to do that now?”

“I know what kind of ratchet you two had going on... what your plan was, I know who is a big fan, of your Ava de Fleur, or should I say Louisa Foerster. So this is the deal; you leave, not forever, just till this blows over, she in deference to you-  comes here to live but I can’t let you two communicate; too risky.”

"You don't understand. I was going to marry her. Where do you get off”?

“Very romantic; didn’t peg you for the romantic type. Maybe my reputation doesn't precede me. A year ago I would of just eliminated you both and been done with it but I like you Chuck. You remind me of myself in a way.”

I spun and grabbed the man by the throat shoved and held him just over the railing tenuously balancing him.

"WHAT makes you think I can't do the same to you right now”? The pain was too much.

"Mr. Farmer I have many tentacles, I have my eyes, ears, and talons in many places. You can let me fall into the river but your poor Ava won’t leave France; worse she won’t die in France she will die somewhere much much worse."

I let him back my head swimming with pain emotional and physical. I pulled out the flask of whiskey again and took two quick hits.

"The choice is yours Mr. Farmer, either you do as I say or...have it your way." he said as he turned pulling his overcoat up over his neck and face.... "You won’t be helping anyone especially Louisa or..."

“Or myself yeah right well…”

 “…Or that little bun she’s got in the oven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment